Blogging platforms are websites published in the web where people have the freedom to post their views and opinions regarding relevant issues. On the late 1990’s blogging platforms grew with the emergence of web publishing tools, which was significantly helpful for non-technical content writers.
In its early years in the online, blogging platforms were most commonly ran by a single individual, and rarely by small groups of people who has a sole purpose and advocacy. Blogging platforms, despite the years that went through, did not change too much, however, is still able to go head on with new surfacing online micro blogging systems such as Twitter and Instagram. Though people resort to use micro blogging systems due to the fact that it contributes greatly to the success of an individual, blogging platforms still stand firm and functions as it is before.
Though majority of blogging platforms function as online diaries for different kinds of people who enjoy sharing their experiences through the internet, blogging platforms actually have more functions which includes:
- Commentaries on a particular subject
- Online brand advertising for certain individuals, establishments and cooperatives
- Galleries for new media outputs Majority of posts publicized by bloggers are composed of texts, however, due to new trends introduced to us by today’s technology, bloggers also began to resort to posting photographs, art blogs, music (MP3), audio blogs (podcasts), and video blogs (Vlog). These types of blogs developed bloggers’ resourcefulness and made them realize that blogging platforms cannot only let them introduce their works to the world, thus, could lead to their success in their respective fields. Other blog topics could also be:
- web design
- home staging
- mobile technology
- movie reviews
- book reviews
- and even recipes Aside from the entertaining features, blogging platforms have also become more interesting because of its interactive functions that let readers and viewers leave comments, suggestions and opinions toward the blogs published by bloggers. The audience are also given the chance to communicate with bloggers with messaging functions and through comment sections. Through these interactive features, blogging platforms have gained more users who are both interested in sharing and learning.
- As of today, blogging platforms such as Tumblr, WordPress, and Blogger are considered as sites with the most number of users where Blogger takes the lead according to critics.
- Other than the interactive features and the blogging experience, blogging platforms nowadays have built in functions that would be necessary to fulfil its purposes. Some purposes are archives; where older posts are kept for future reference and citations; feeds which allows users to keep up with the latest information posted on other sites. Besides, blogrolls is the user’s bibliography, which contains the links that a user finds interesting and worthwhile, sometimes, the links in the blogroll are links of other blogs that share the same topic as what the user is focused on. Then come the excerpts, the condensed summary of all the user’s blog posts; and the plugins, which adds additional functions to a person’s bogs.